Thursday, April 7

My Mini Project

Good Evening!
This is my first late night post. If you've read my previous post, you would know that I tried to set up a small awareness corner at my stall at the Supplies Surprise Bazaar (a very delightful bazaar indeed!). 


I announced just 2-3 days before the bazaar that I would be setting up this activity where anyone who came wearing BLUE and signed the Autism Awareness pledge, would receive a free mystery gift. This was in conjunction with the Light it Up Blue campaign organised by the Autism Speaks Org. Not to mention the perfect coincidence that the bazaar was held on the very day of Autism Awareness Day (2nd April). Beii, the organizer of the bazaar and also the owner of The Handmade Movement had kindly allowed me to carry out my last minute project! So very kind!


DSCN3367
The setup

It was very challenging for me, since I'm really nervous to meet strangers and even worse that I have to talk to them! To go to the bazaar itself was a very big challenge for me, because it involved getting out of the house and meeting or talking to people. 

However, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Many people were kind enough to listen to what I had to say when I approached them. I thought that I'd just write a short "report" or summary of my mini project.

IMG
The Signing Sheet

Unofficial statistics:
1. I managed to get 25 people to sign the pledge. Which also means that I gave out about the
    same amount of fact sheets.
2. Out of the 25 people, at least 10 have a relative, family member or friend's child who has 
    Autism.
3. Another 10 have heard of Autism but do not really know what it is.
4. The remaining 5people have never heard of Autism.
5. All the people whom I approached were receptive and allowed me a few minutes of their time.
6. All the people whom I approached readily signed the pledge once they knew what it was
    about.
7. Half of the people were very surprised that all they had to do was sign. Most of them expected  
     for me to ask for donations. 
   (which is very sad because it reflects the Malaysian scene of Charity being misused. In other   
    words, charity is equated with money. This is not true, spreading information, giving time and 
    understanding is worth much more than money)
8. Blue seems to be a popular choice when it comes to clothing (haha) since many people who  
    had no idea about my mini project turned up wearing BLUE! (just a fun fact)

In retrospect, I can say that when I started getting positive feedback, after collecting a few signatures and handing out fact sheets; I felt that even if I didn't make a single sale, those signatures where well worth the while, and they were priceless.

I am even considering making this a regular thing for each event that I take part in (hopefully with the permission of the organiser). Even while I was working with these children, I have always wanted to do something like this, but as we all know, there is always so little time and so much to do. So here I am, starting something small, hoping that this small spark will light a small light to bring a small hope.


DSCN3374
The Mystery Gift that I had to whip out in the last minute!

Awareness of Autism and also Other Learning Differences are causes that are very very close to my heart. Even more because these are "invisible" disabilities, makes it even more difficult for people to understand them. I still believe that awareness is the key. If we understand them and accept them for who they are, we would be the cure. I can't save the world, but I hope that awareness will help make life more meaningful and kinder to those affected by this challenge. Everyone is beautiful. Although we may be different on the outside, we are all the same on the "inside".

So, what do you think? Will you join me?

!!!DISCLAIMER: newsong© Handmade Goods/Myself, will NEVER ask for DONATION on the behalf of ANY organisation!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment