Wednesday, May 25

Awareness Project 2

Hello!
Wednesdays are the best, because it's halfway to the weekend! I hope you are having a fantastic week so far.

IMG_5737 IMG_5784

I have been thinking about how to write this unofficial mini-report about my 2nd Awareness Project, which took place at Newsong's booth during the Pipit Wonderful Market 6. You can read more about this Project here, and the previous one here.
The reason that I have been taking so long to write about this is really because I have mixed feelings about it.

The "GOOD"s :
  1. I had two very helpful young people to help me specifically for the Awareness corner. Their tasks were to tell visitors about the awareness of acceptance of people with learning difficulties, hand them a leaflet, and a silver ribbon in return for their signature to show support.
  2. Many people responded. The board that I made for the signatures was filled with signatures about 2-3hours after opening time. That was really fast.
  3. I intended to aim for 50 signatures and 50 ribbons to give out, but it turned out that I didn't have enough to give away! I had about 170 pins. And they were all gone.
  4. The 100pcs of leaflets were also all given away.
  5. About 30-40% of the people stopped to ask about the cause, listened and asked questions.
  6. The overall feedback was positive, and I am happy to see a few parents waiting in line, asking their children to sign and wear a ribbon as well.
A BIG THANK YOU
to all of you who signed to support the 
Awareness of Acceptance of People with Learning Disabilities.
DSCN4249


And now for the "NOT SO GOOD"s:
  1. I don't think I prepared my helpers well enough, because they started of by saying "please sign? yah just sign only"....which was very bad. My bad. And I had to quickly stop them from saying that and tell them that they had to explain before asking people to sign.
  2. I underestimated the number of leaflets to print, and ribbons to make.
  3. Some people were still wary of us wanting to collect monetary donations.
  4. I wonder about the other 60% or so of visitors who signed without asking any questions.Would they read the leaflet we gave out? Do they really know what the cause was? I can't say for sure, but I can only hope that they will read the leaflet and understand it.
So, it seems that the number of pro's are more than the con's, but to me the BAD's matter alot.
In retrospect, These are my thoughts:

Am I doing it the right way?
I realised I want to go for Quality and not Quantity, and that the number of signatures clearly does not make any accurate indication of people being made "aware".


I don't want to be seen as a signature 'collector' who is doing 'charity'. Because that's not what its all about. Its about the cause, its about learning about accepting people with learning difficulties. And if the people whom we approached didn't know what they were signing for, it is a FAIL. 


And I am sad and upset by the thought that most people really weren't given a good explanation of what they were signing for.
So my approach has major problems that needs to be attended to.
  • Perhaps low traffic events are a better place to hold these Projects? Since I think I would have more time to explain and answer any questions people had to ask.
  • Another big question would be "Should I set aside certain events, to purely set up a booth especially for awareness?" Which means that I will not be selling anything on these events, just 100% awareness.
So, really I am in doubt whether I should carry on with these Awareness Projects, because if I can't do it the right way, it might do more damage than good. What do you think? Do you have any input on this? I'd really appreciate it regardless whether its good or bad. Help me out here will ya?
awareness copy awareness1 copy

awareness action copy awarenessback copy


As for those who didn't make it, or didn't get my leaflet, here it is. 
Click on the images for larger views.
*if you wish to use it, please WRITE TO ME PERSONALLY TO ASK FOR PERMISSION, thanks in advance =)

4 comments:

  1. Is your helper also aware about the importance to share autism with the rest or are they just there to finish their job? I guess with two different motives, outcome can be very different as well.. It's always easier to tell them to 'just sign' rather than to explain the cause and sharing the word.

    Perhaps you can try making things that are related to what you want to speak? share what inspire you to create the handmades so the buyers can always relate to your message when they see your products. People are more likely to stop by our booth when we have something for them, so I think if renting a booth just to spread the word might not attract as much people because they would just assume you'll be asking for money and what-nots.

    Certainly, with so much crowd around it'll be hard to do the explanation, i agree that smaller venues will allow you more time to bond with the people, however bigger venues can also spread the word fast, maybe put up a big poster behind your stall with one important sentence about autism? When the same crowd goes to some other venues, they'll most likely to find your cause familiar which I suppose also means success..

    It's a great and kind thing you're doing here, i'll be more glad to help if I am able, just let me know and i'll do my best :) It takes time to educate the crowd, don't feel to stressed out about the con-s and focus on the pro-s, you'll surely achieve it in long term :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Beii!
    Thanks for taking the time to read through and for your very valuable ideas and suggestions! I will definitely take all you said into account.

    But just one question...
    Do you think its bad to sell awareness related stuff if i didn't give the money to any organization?
    Is it morally correct if I use the money from the sales to cover my own costs for the project leh?

    Thanks yah Beii,
    love, sungting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's not bad at all, afterall you're creating your own handmade and they are still worth their value of purchase ma. It's not like we sell normal pens for RM30 or what right? hehe.. It's just what inspire you to make things, you don't need to give the money to organizations! We need to take care of ourselves to be able to take care of others :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, Thanks Beii! You're the best! Thanks for encouragement too!!! Off to work now =D you just got me motivated again! <3

    ReplyDelete