Friday, December 21

Warm and Fuzzy

Goodwill, cheer, generosity, gift giving, joy, sounds of carols filling the air, blinking lights on trees, snow, turkey dinners, hot chocolate and candy canes. I haven't mentioned the word "Christmas" yet, but all these words seem to equate to Christmas don't you think? A time of warm and fuzzy feelings.
illustration by Estelle Caswell
Today we live in a culture of celebrating almost everything we can. It is particularly true to my observation in Malaysia. Almost every holiday season is observed mainly as a reason for shopping and economical profit. But celebration has nothing to do with joy or happiness anymore. It has become just another holiday, or just another sale.


So what is it that sets Christmas apart? Why is it still referred to as the best time of the year, when everybody "feels good" inside, and somehow collectively share this "warm and fuzzy" feeling? I saw a poster the other day that read "December is the Friday of months".

As always, some questions cross my mind (typical especially when I can't sleep at night). Why is it that we only think about joy, peace and goodwill, even to perfect strangers during the Christmas season? Aren't generosity, joy, peace, goodwill and the whole deal things that need to be demonstrated anytime of the year to any human person, living thing on earth? It's not that I'm not thankful that it happens more frequently during Christmas season. But its just an honest question. As I reflect on this, I want to make conscious efforts to do good and give selflessly all year round. In fact I sort of already have some plans in store (winks*).

For Christians, Christmas is indeed a very significant time of the year. It is a time of thanksgiving of God's unconditional love for us. A time of reflection and remembrance of God's great sacrifice to restore the divide between man and God. Because of what we celebrate on Christmas day, we are given a second chance, hope and reconciliation. Again, the same question crosses my mind. Do I only feel grateful during Christmas time? Do I only think of His sacrifice of love only when Christmas is near? These are my self-reflections that I personally know I have so much more to work on. To my fellow Christians, may we remember to keep the Christ in Christ-mas, and all the days of our lives.

The Baby born in the stable 1965 Dorse Lampher

So, how about you? Do you know what Christmas is? If you are curious or even if you simply wish to rediscover the meaning of Christmas, HERE is a good article to read.

Before I sign off for the long weekend, I would like to wish all of you a very Blessed Christmas! 

 
Free Printable by The-DIY-Mommy
God Loves You! YES, YOU!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment